About me

Tomato Soup


I enjoy cooking. I’m not amazing by any means; I mean I can hold my own in the kitchen but I’m not about to start my own restaurant. My mom was an epic cook and she taught me a thing or two about cooking, and by my mom I mean Jamie Oliver (jokes, my mom taught me everything I know. But really Jamie Oliver…hey…hey…).

So one day my mom/Jamie Oliver taught me how to make a kiff tomato soup. The soup has undergone a few changes over the years, but I’m quite happy with how it is right now. The recipe is incredibly simple. Like anyone can make this soup.

Ingredients (like literally 6 ingredients. That’s nothing)
Bag of tomatoes
Garlic
Cut Basil
Tomato sauce
Honey or syrup
Cream or crème fraiche

Steps
  1. Cut the tomatoes into eights.
  2. Put some hot water, tomato sauce and honey into a bowl.
  3. Put the cut tomatoes into the bowl and mix around so that the tomatoes are covered in the sauce.
  4. Put the tomatoes onto a baking tray with crushed garlic cloves in the tray (the cloves should be whole and still have the skin on, just bashed with a knife), and some salt.
  5. Place in the oven to grill until the tomatoes start blackening (about 15 mins)
  6. Take the garlic out of its skins, cut it up roughly and put into a pot on the stove with some olive oil.
  7. Allow to simmer for a bit and then add the tomatoes.
  8. After about 5-10 minutes add the cut basil (leaving a bit behind)
  9. Use a blender to blend the soup.
  10. Add the cream (don't add too much. My last effort turned pink as I added too much.) or place crème fraiche on the top.
  11. Take a bit of the basil that was left behind and slice finely. Add some crushed and finely chopped garlic, some salt, and good lug of olive oil. Add this on top of the soup when you serve.
Serve with croutons, or freshly baked bread.

Connect with Michael-John
If you'd like to connect with me follow me on twitter at @MJPhillip , and on Google + by going through to my Google Plus page.

No comments:

Post a Comment