About me

Chuck Palahniuk

A while ago I went to a bookshop and picked up 'Choke' by Chuck Palahniuk. I read the opening pages and loved it. Pretty much the opening is just the author telling the reader why not to read the book. Its great. "Don't read my book". Heck, now I want to read your book. Darn you, reverse-psychology.

I honestly never read more than those few pages, and so I feel like a bit of a dope telling you how kiff his writing is, but what I read I really enjoyed.

Chuck is also the writer of 'Fight Club'.

Here are a few quotes of his. Funny, depressing, and real.
People don't want their lives fixed. Nobody wants their problems solved. Their dramas. Their distractions. Their stories resolved. Their messes cleaned up. Because what would they have left? Just the big scary unknown.

The only reason why we ask other people how their weekend was is so we can tell them about our own weekend.

The most boring thing in the entire world is nudity. The second most boring thing is honesty.

It's not living alone if you keep a rifle under the bed.

With a gun stuck in your mouth and the barrel of the gun between your teeth, you can only talk in vowels.

Why is it you feel like a dope if you laugh alone, but that's usually how you end up crying?

A minute of perfection was worth the effort. A moment was the most you could ever expect from perfection.

On a long enough timeline. The survival rate for everyone drops to zero.

2 comments:

  1. Chuck Palahniuk is one of my favourite authors. (And also my least favourite to spell out).

    Love the quotes; adding them to my quote Moleskine. "A moment was the most you could ever expect from perfection." - I read these words in Fight Club and memorised them. One tiny bit of perfection makes everything beautiful and worth it. After all the stress of the move yesterday, my moment of perfection happened when I walked into the new flat. Beautiful. Worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. People love chasing perfection, and expect to finally reach some level of perfection when everything is as it should be; when really its just a moment in the story.

    Glad you're moved in and happy.

    ReplyDelete